The Lessons Appointed for Use
on the Feast of
Bishop of Ohio, and of Illinois, 1852
Isaiah 44:1-6, 8
Psalm 108:1-6 or
The Preface of a Saint (1)
Almighty God, whose Son Jesus Christ is the pioneer and perfecter of our faith: We give you heartfelt thanks for the pioneering spirit of your servant Philander Chase, and for his zeal in opening new frontiers for the ministry of your Church. Grant us grace to minister in Christ's name in every place, led by bold witnesses to the Gospel of the Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Isaiah 44:1-6, 8
- But now hear, O Jacob my servant,
- Israel whom I have chosen!
- Thus says the LORD who made you,
- who formed you in the womb and will help you:
- Do not fear, O Jacob my servant,
- Jeshurun whom I have chosen.
- For I will pour water on the thirsty land,
- and streams on the dry ground;
- I will pour my spirit upon your descendants,
- and my blessing on your offspring.
- They shall spring up like a green tamarisk,
- like willows by flowing streams.
- This one will say, "I am the LORD's,"
- another will be called by the name of Jacob,
- yet another will write on the hand, "The LORD's,"
- and adopt the name of Israel.
- Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel,
- and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts:
- I am the first and I am the last;
- besides me there is no god.
- Do not fear, or be afraid;
- have I not told you from of old and declared it?
- You are my witnesses!
- Is there any god besides me ?
- There is no other rock; I know not one.
Psalm 108:1-6 Page 749, BCP
Paratum cor meum
- My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed; *
I will sing and make melody.
- Wake up, my spirit;
awake, lute and harp; *
I myself will waken the dawn.
- I will confess you among the peoples, O LORD; *
I will sing praises to you among the nations.
- For your loving-kindness is greater than the heavens, *
and your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.
- Exalt yourself above the heavens, O God, *
and your glory over all the earth.
- So that those who are dear to you may be delivered, *
save with your right hand and answer me.
Psalm 16:5-11 Page 600, BCP
Conserva me, Domine
- O LORD, YOU are my portion and my cup; *
it is you who uphold my lot.
- My boundaries enclose a pleasant land; *
indeed, I have a goodly heritage.
- I will bless the LORD who gives me counsel; *
my heart teaches me, night after night.
- I have set the LORD always before me; *
because he is at my right hand I shall not fall.
- My heart, therefore, is glad, and my spirit rejoices; *
my body also shall rest in hope.
- For you will not abandon me to the grave, *
nor let your holy one see the Pit.
- You will show me the path of life; *
in your presence there is fullness of joy,
and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.
Jesus called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases, and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal. He said to them, "Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money-- not even an extra tunic. Whatever house you enter, stay there, and leave from there. Wherever they do not welcome you, as you are leaving that town shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them." They departed and went through the villages, bringing the good news and curing diseases everywhere.
Optional parts of the readings are set off in square brackets.
The Bible texts of the Old Testament, Epistle and Gospel lessons are from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Church of Christ in the USA, and used by permission.
The Collects, Psalms and Canticles are from the Book of Common Prayer, 1979.
Return to The Lectionary Page.