The Lessons Appointed for Use on the
Sunday closest to August 17
Psalm 147 or 34:9-14
Almighty God, you have given your only Son to be for us a sacrifice for sin, and also an example of godly life: Give us grace to receive thankfully the fruits of his redeeming work, and to follow daily in the blessed steps of his most holy life; through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
- Wisdom has built her house,
- she has hewn her seven pillars.
- She has slaughtered her animals, she has mixed her wine,
- she has also set her table.
- She has sent out her servant girls, she calls
- from the highest places in the town,
- "You that are simple, turn in here!"
- To those without sense she says,
- "Come, eat of my bread
- and drink of the wine I have mixed.
- Lay aside immaturity, and live,
- and walk in the way of insight."
Psalm 34:9-14 Page 628, BCP
- Fear the LORD, you that are his saints, *
for those who fear him lack nothing.
- The young lions lack and suffer hunger, *
but those who seek the LORD lack nothing that is good.
- Come, children, and listen to me; *
I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
- Who among you loves life *
and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
- Keep your tongue from evil-speaking *
and your lips from lying words.
- Turn from evil and do good; *
seek peace and pursue it.
Psalm 147 Page 804, BCP
How good it is to sing praises to our God! *
how pleasant it is to honor him with praise!
- The LORD rebuilds Jerusalem; *
he gathers the exiles of Israel.
- He heals the brokenhearted *
and binds up their wounds.
- He counts the number of the stars *
and calls them all by their names.
- Great is our LORD and mighty in power; *
there is no limit to his wisdom.
- The LORD lifts up the lowly, *
but casts the wicked to the ground.
- Sing to the LORD with thanksgiving; *
make music to our God upon the harp.
- He covers the heavens with clouds *
and prepares rain for the earth;
- He makes grass to grow upon the mountains *
and green plants to serve mankind.
- He provides food for flocks and herds *
and for the young ravens when they cry.
- He is not impressed by the might of a horse; *
he has no pleasure in the strength of a man;
- But the LORD has pleasure in those who fear him, *
in those who await his gracious favor.
- Worship the LORD, O Jerusalem; *
praise your God, O Zion;
- For he has strengthened the bars of your gates; *
he has blessed your children within you.
- He has established peace on your borders; *
he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
- He sends out his command to the earth, *
and his word runs very swiftly.
- He gives snow like wool; *
he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
- He scatters his hail like bread crumbs; *
who can stand against his cold?
- He sends forth his word and melts them; *
he blows with his wind, and the waters flow.
- He declares his word to Jacob, *
his statutes and his judgments to Israel.
- He has not done so to any other nation; *
to them he has not revealed his judgments.
Be careful then how you live, not as unwise people but as wise, making the most of the time, because the days are evil. So do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. Do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery; but be filled with the Spirit, as you sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, singing and making melody to the Lord in your hearts, giving thanks to God the Father at all times and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Jesus said, "Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever." He said these things while he was teaching in the synagogue at Capernaum.
Optional parts of the readings are set off in square brackets.
The Bible texts of the Old Testament, Epistle and Gospel lessons are from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Church of Christ in the USA, and used by permission.
The Collects, Psalms and Canticles are from the Book of Common Prayer, 1979.
Return to The Lectionary Page.